Have you decided to venture into cosmetic tattooing for the very first time? If you’re like us, you want to dedicate the time and steps before your service to get the best life (and look!) out of your tattoo.
With straightforward suggestions you can put into practice as soon as you decide to book in for a service, Mimi Lane at the Black Market Tattoo Co are here to help you before, during, and after your tattoo.
Wondering what you can do today to get ready for your appointment? Read on.
Top 8 Things To Do Before Your Cosmetic Tattoo Appointment
Booked in for your next treatment? Among our top go-to’s to prepare for a new cosmetic tattoo, we suggest:
- Consider your health and wellness needs: We’ll ask you to complete a client in-take form before every new appointment–and need to know what, if any, medications you might be taking. Make sure you’re familiar with these beforehand.
- Stay Alcohol and Caffeine-free: Why? Having either in your system beforehand could affect colour deposits in the skin and make clients more prone to bruising or sensitivity. To get the most out of your appointment, and to stay comfortable throughout, please avoid caffeine and alcohol before your appointment.
- No Blood Thinners: Unless your Doctor has required it, please don’t reach for Aspirin, Ibuprofen, or blood thinning medications 24-48 hours before your appointment. Why? They can increase the risk of bleeding and bruising–but speak to our team beforehand if you’re concerned.
- Reference Photos: Have an ideal outcome in mind? Feel free to bring a few reference photos to help us create your ideal look. Please keep in mind that your technician will consider your inspiration and map out a tattoo that best compliments your face shape and skin type.
- Double Check the Accutane: It’s required that all clients have been Accutane free for at least 12-months prior to their tattoo treatment. Haven’t been off the medication for at least a year? Please speak with our friendly team about rebooking your appointment.
- No Waxing, Sugaring, or Tweezing: For at least 2-3 days before your appointment. This will minimise sensitivity and ensure the skin hasn’t been exposed to hair removal too close to the tattoo application. Avoid waxing your brow 2-3 days before your appointment. Don’t worry—if I see any strays, I’ll pluck them myself!
- No Facials: Rather, no deep facials or chemical peels for at least one-week prior to your appointment. Speak with our team about booking in for skincare services post-treatment as well to extend the life of your tattoos.
- Clean Up Prior to Your Appointment: We particularly recommend a hair wash. Why? If you’re having your brows done, keeping them dry and out of the way during a shower can be a challenge for 10-days post-tattoo–do yourself a favour and buy some time by cleaning up right before your appointment.
Extending Your Cosmetic Tattoos with Post-treatment Tips
Already taken the plunge? Here are our best suggestions for taking care of and extending the life of your tattoos post-procedure.
- No Moisture: Feeling dry? Unfortunately, outside of the mandatory daily application of select moisturising products, all clients need to stay out of long showers, swimming pools, and saunas for at least two weeks. Why? To ensure your tattoo can go through the natural healing process and get its best result.
- Minimise Makeup: Much the same as moisturiser or long swims, makeup on your cosmetic tattoo can interfere with the natural healing process. Minimise or stay away from cosmetics until your healing is done.
- Layoff the Exercise: Another source of moisture? Sweat. Slow down on hardcore exercise or sweat-inducing sports for at least 10 days post-treatment.
- No Chemical Peels: Fantastic, effective skincare treatments, you need to wait at least 2-weeks post treatment before undergoing any intense services like laser treatments or chemical peels.
- No Itching or Scratching: Want to get a consistent look? No picking, scratching, or itching your post-treatment healing tissue. Doing so could lead to unevenness or scars.
- Wear SPF: On top of your SPF game? While you should be already, ensuring you’re wearing SPF everyday can prolong the life of your tattoo by slowing down the natural fading process.
- Delay Anti-wrinkle Treatments: Into dermal fillers or anti-wrinkle injections? All good by us–just wait two weeks before your next appointment.
Feeling overwhelmed? Don’t be. Our cosmetic tattoo Gold Coast team are experts in consulting, applying, and caring for cosmetic tattoos. If you have any questions, need advice, or want to book in a personal consultation to see how you can achieve your best look, speak with our friendly front of house team.
From addressing the likelihood of your new tattoos fading in time to debunking common myths and rumours and microblading brows online, our tattoo experts on the Gold Coast, can help guide you through the transformative process of cosmetic tattooing today.